scientific meetings with infant

Leemor Joshua-Tor leemor at CSHL.ORG
Tue Jun 24 18:11:38 EST 1997

Julia Frugoli wrote:

>Ditto Cold Spring Harbor, where family members are ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN
>(in capital letters).  I guess "real" scientists don't have families :)!
>Julia Frugoli
>Dartmouth College

As a Cold Spring Harbor faculty, this comment disturbed me so I checked
with the director of the meetings office and this is his response:

I'd love to know where the ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN comes from. We do not
permit students for courses to bring families because 100% commitment to
the course is expected, and it would be unfair on other applicants not
allowed into the course (our courses are usually oversubscribed several
fold) if a participating student was only half involved.

However, for meetings, this is absolutely untrue. We only have a limited
amount of place on grounds for families, but at least since my arrival in
1993, we have tried to accomodate people by arranging family style
apartments at hotels, even baby sitters, and there is certainly no
discouragement on children being around campus or attending social
functions during the meeting. On occasional times with very young infants,
we have been able to house people on campus. With the childcare center now
operational, there might even be daycare facilities available (though kids
would have to come with all the relevant innoculations, paperwork in place
to fit in with NY state health laws) - I met with the contracting agency
Rainbow Chimes, and they are certainly prepared to be accomodating. We do
not permit children in the auditorium for obvious reasons, but I would very
much appreciate if you post this message to the user group to clarify our
commitment to help scientists (and women scientists in particular) with
young children in attending our meetings at Cold Spring Harbor.

David J. Stewart, Ph.D.
Director, Meetings & Courses
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
1 Bungtown Road
Cold Spring Harbor NY 11724

  Leemor Joshua-Tor, Ph.D.
  Assistant Investigator
  Keck Structural Biology
  Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory           Tel. (516) 367 8821
  1 Bungtown Road                         Fax  (516) 367 8873
  Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724            e-mail: leemor at cshl.org