Re-reclassification -- and then a miracle occurred!

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Jun 24 16:16:02 EST 1997

Linnea Ista (lkista at UNM.EDU) wrote:
: Hi everyone!
: I thought I would update you!

: I went up to my mailbox to pick up my time sheets for my first week of
: hourly employment. Much to my surprise there was a letter from HR. It
: seems they reviewed my job and reassinged me *again*. I am now a Research
: Scientist I and exempt again!

: My boss was a little miffed, because it means about a $100 a month raise,
: and there are fewer listed responsibilities (I did point out that they
: were more ambiguous in the current job description than the previous one).
: I shudder to think what happens when they start handing out the back pay
: (retroactive to last July). He also was afraid that I would only follow my
: job description to the letter (he should have been more worried about that
: with the first reclassification).

: I am still going to look for something else, because the psychological
: environment in the lab is still not good.
: Once again, thanks to everyone for their support!

: Linnea

Good for you! However from my own experience and having witnessed the same
happening to several colleages and myself, if you are particularly good
at your job they will keep you there doing the same thing or more of
the same thing and wont give you a pay rise! Strangely enough those not
particularly smart or not work particularly hard were either sacked or got
promoted with fewer responsibilties, kind of going against logic though
what most employer do take into consideration when promoting an employee
and giving them less responsibilities is they will lose someone unless
they find a replacement. My advice is do becarefull, it can be a false sense
of security as a way of cutbacks or simply getting rid of individual, let say
if you got more money and less responsibility with no one able to fill in
successfully with your old job things will not get done properly, what will
happen? The bosses can then get rid of you! You cannot argue that the bosses
has broken any laws, you cant say they descriminate you because they had
increased your pay prior to getting rid of you.
This is just something that I had witnessed in a work environment, maybe
it is different in other establishment.

	Wah