Cost cutting

Dana Ann Dudle ddudle at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 27 09:58:17 EST 1997

To avoid problems with ethidium bromide, I always cut the gel before I
stain... this works if you are doing population-level studies where you
know where the bands you are interested in will be on the gel.  THis
saves MUCH money without being dangerous.  Another thing we did (in a
well funded but frugal lab) was save TBE and TAE for a week, in beakers
near the gel rigs.  I don't know if this is standard procedure or not,
but it definitely seemed to work.  This actually probably saves more time
than money, however.  Still valuable, though!

By the way-- I never imagined NOT racking my own pipet tips.  Maybe I
don't deal in the volume that some of you do, however.
--Dana