grant distribution

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Fri Jun 27 16:19:13 EST 1997

S L Forsburg (forsburg at nospamsalk.edu) wrote:

: Indeed, but where does the money come from?  That's the question.
: At a university with undergraduates, there is tuition.  At
: a state university, there is state funding.  Even at a medical
: school, there is  clinical income.   But (unlike Harvard)
: a place like Salk has no endowment to speak of, no taxpayers, no
: patients,  and no tuition.  Where is the money to pay salaries?

So what is Salk?  A collective of scientists, who
obtain money from the government to do research? What is the
institution organized as -- a charitable organization that does
research, and what are its bylaws? How are it's president and
board of directors chosen?

I ask these questions, because I am surprised to hear that the
Salk does not have a large endowment; I had always imagined that
that is how it would fund what was not paid for by the
government.

Where does money for startup packages for new scientists come
from, for example?

Because I'm asking questions, I'll write a little of what the
situation in the NIH intramural program (where I am a post-doc).

NIH is organized on the principle of Laboratories, headed by
a chief, who has several chiefs of Sections under him. This sounds
like the old style/European lab system, but in fact, over
the years, the Section chiefs (who work under the Lab chief)
have developed a lot of autonomy, so, these, days they
are equivalent to a professor in a department. And, further,
these days, the labs contain people doing a larger variety
of work. But, the labs do have more coherence of purpose than
your average research university.

Intramural researchers do not write NIH grants; the intramural
program is funded seperately, through a seperate heirarchy in
each Institute.

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Lab of Neuropsychology, NIMH
Building 49, Room 1b80