big labs

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Mon Jun 30 13:14:37 EST 1997

I found this article on the Nature web site,
and thought it was relevant to our discussion
on the role of "big labs" in science.

Here's an excerpt: Lawrence and Locke
write that "Modern science is becoming like a melee
at a children's party where groups rush hither and thither
after any kid that shouts loud enough."

"Lawrence and Lock also believe that creativity is
stifled by the increasing tendency towards multi-
scientist research, where junior scientists are
obliged to join research teams directed by big
names in the field. "

http://www.nature.com/Nature2/serve?SID=93905728&CAT
=Corner&PG=Update/update255.html

The URL wouldn't fit all on one line, so it needs to be pasted together.

If pasting doesn't work, you can navigate there by going to

http://www.nature.com/, clicking on Nature science update,

and then scrolling down to the article titled "Policy: Science needs
risk takers."

There was also an article in Nature about the R29 grants
for junior researchers in the US

http://www.nature.com/, click on News, and then follow the
article link under the cartoon.

Basically, it seems that NIH is seriously considering dropping
special funds for "new investigators", the R29, because of
worries that the money is insufficient. They plan to replace
this special program with an instruction to study sections
to consider the fact that the investigator is "new" in
evaluating the amount/quality of preliminary data.

Bharathi

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov

Lab of Neuropsychology
NIMH