grant distribution

taguebw at wfu.edu taguebw at wfu.edu
Mon Jun 30 15:21:50 EST 1997

In article <33B5384E.24BD at nospamsalk.edu>, forsburg at nospamsalk.edu wrote:

> Believe me, that would be wonderful.  But our [the Salk's] endowment has been
> described charitably as a "figleaf", so the support for our
> research comes from NIH, voluntary health agencies (such
> as the American Cancer Society and March of Dimes etc etc),
> private foundations, and individual donations, all of which
> are very important to us.

FIRST:
RE: individual donations. What is the tax status of this?

(Semi-insert tongue in cheek) I always wondered if it would be worthwhile
taking out an ad in the Wall Street Journal -- "Science seeks Sugar Daddy
or Mama to fund research. Will name pieces of equipment after you; will
put your name on the acknowledgements of all my papers. Big tax
write-off(?)" Instead of tax payer money from the government, go for
direct giving. Sort of like the patrons of the arts in the 1700-1800's.
Think it would be worth the cost of an ad?

SECOND:
Did you know that the original plan for the Salk was that scientists would
be on one side and non-scientists (philosophers, literary types) would be
on the other and they could meet at the "river" that flows between the two
buildings. Sort of like Sidhartha (sp?) An intermingling of minds and all
that.

THIRD:
We had a meeting of women-in-bio at the Arabidopsis meeting in Madison. It
was great to put some faces to names. We discussed all the great issues:
how to get rid of spam to what constitutes "official" statements in
e-mail....

My 2 electrons

Brian