Re. Grant distribution

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Mon Jun 30 16:04:28 EST 1997

taguebw at wfu.edu (Brian) wrote

> (Semi-insert tongue in cheek) I always wondered if it would be
> worthwhile
> taking out an ad in the Wall Street Journal -- "Science seeks Sugar
> Daddy
> or Mama to fund research. Will name pieces of equipment after you;
> will
> put your name on the acknowledgements of all my papers. Big tax
> write-off(?)" Instead of tax payer money from the government, go for
> direct giving. Sort of like the patrons of the arts in the
> 1700-1800's.
> Think it would be worth the cost of an ad?

No.  Sadly, in our modern culture, a sense of social responsibility
seems to be missing from the rich.   Carnegie founded libraries.
Rockefeller started universities.  Now we have Donald Trump...I put it
down in part to the general selfishness of our society, the
"Me" generation, rather than the "We" generation.

> Did you know that the original plan for the Salk was that scientists
> would
> be on one side and non-scientists (philosophers, literary types) would
> be
> on the other and they could meet at the "river" that flows between the
> two
> buildings. Sort of like Sidhartha (sp?) An intermingling of minds and
> all
> that.
Yes, I did know that.  How it ended up, however, is with
neurobiologists on one side and molecular biologists on the
other.  Although some of the neurobiologists get very close to
philosophy as they discuss theories of consciousness.... ;-)

> We discussed all the great issues:how to get rid of spam
>to what constitutes "official" statements in e-mail....

But did you figure out how to get rid of the spam????!!!!
--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab