Working hard

Patricia S. Bowne pbowne at omnifest.uwm.edu
Sat Mar 1 20:28:24 EST 1997

Susan points out that law and medicine also assume
long hours, and I was going to reply that I was
concerned with how things OUGHT to be rather than
how they currently are (which we all probably agree
is not perfect).

Then it occurred to me, though - I know how things
are in the US, but I've read about other countries where
people have long vcations, and time off in the middle
of the day, and other civilized things like that. Are
there any scientists from outside the US who can tell
us - does a country really lose its edge in science
when the scientists work rational hours?

Pat Bowne