after the dissertation defense

Cynthia M. Galloway c-galloway at TAMUK.EDU
Mon Mar 3 16:14:07 EST 1997

>> Vanessa L. Artman wrote:
>> >

>> > 1.)  How does one prepare for general exams?  I'm much more nervous about
>> > this situation, because the committee members can ask me, theoretically,
>> > about anything.
>>
>Don't forget to consider your committee members' backgrounds.  Of course
>you can plan on getting questions from each one's field of expertise, but
>I remember getting a couple of questions from committee members based on
>their earlier research, i.e. they asked me questions related to topics
>they studied as postdocs or grad students.
>
>Deb Britt

Before my general exams I met with each of my committee members and was
given different advise by each.  Dr. Murashigi (of Murashigi and Skoog)
called me in and gave me a list of questions he would ask.  I diligently
studied the list and was pleased he was the first questioner.  He then
proceeded to ask a question not on the list!  Needless to say I was rattled
but, that's the worst it got.  When I got stuck they walked me through the
question and I ended up passing 5-0 so, I survived and you will too.  I read
lots of general Plant Physiology texts and tried to anticipate questions
that each would ask about their speciality and it all worked out.

Good luck.

Cyndy

Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Assoc. Professor of Biology