vacations

mbrown at fhcrc.org mbrown at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 11 21:01:43 EST 1997

  > susan forsburg wrote:
  > Their PI, on the other hand, just returned after 5 days away,
  > her first vacation in 3 years.
  >
  > -- susan

  What do you think would have happened if you had taken 5 days vacation
  each of those 3 years, instead of only 5 days once in 3 years? Do you
  think you would not have gotten a grant, been scooped by a competitor,
  left your students in the lurch at a key time, or perhaps all of these?
  Or perhaps it is simply that you love your work so much that you would
rather be working than on a beach or climbing a mountain somewhere.

  When I was in the workaholic mode (before I had kids and could afford
  that luxury!), I didn't take much vacation and always stayed late, etc.
  When I think back on that time, I suspect that I probably could have
  taken a few days here and there with very little negative effect.  I
  realize this might not be true for everyone, but I suspect it's true for
  more than a few.

  Megan
  mbrown at fhcrc.org