sexy science

DESTEFANO at MED-GENEPI.BU.EDU DESTEFANO at MED-GENEPI.BU.EDU
Wed Mar 12 12:22:01 EST 1997

I would be interested in hearing from the group how you feel about the
use of the word "sexy" to describe science or a particular project or field
in science.  This adjective is pretty common it seems to me, but I have
only heard it used by males, never by women.  I personally do not like
hearing it, although I have never said anything when it gets used.  At least
for me when I hear men say this, I imagine it conjurs up images of women
with not many clothes on; what is "hot" and what "sells".  Although I
may find science exciting and thrilling I do not think of it as sexy.

Anyone else care to share thoughts? Do people think I am over sensitive?

Anita