Working hard

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Mar 13 10:51:04 EST 1997

 "\"Marcia Elliott\"."<grimalkn at sprynet.com>wrote:

Being a workaholic (which some sociolgists define as working more than
55 hours a week) does not usually have its greatest rewards in
productivity, but rather in power; live at work and you will know
where all the bodies are buried.  Because science is such a
competitive field and is traditionally male, workaholicism has been
raised to a high virtue.  In a sane world, it would be merely an
annoying vice.

Constantly being sleep deprived courts depression, because denying
yourself such a basic need is such a strong dismotivator.  As my major
professor once told me, "Different people have different energy
levels."  I thought that was wise of her.

<SNIP>

I have to agree.  I have found that when nothing is working and I'm at a
loss and can't imagine ever finishing-all it takes is a weekend-yes
Saturday AND Sunday-when I clean the house, putter in the garden, spend
time with the kids, or even (gasp!) read a popular magazine on the deck
with a glass of wine, and I'm ready to do science again, often with a
new insight.  Some of my best work is done the week after a meeting, or
the week after a "vacation", when I've been away from the bench and had
a chance to distance myself from the work.

  In the last year I've begun to take 2 weekends a month, and sometimes
even more.  Yet my PI would say (I know, because we've talked about it)
that I'm turning out more results now than I did when I was in the lab
every single day.  Some of it might be related to approaching thesis
time (all my friends insist the majority of there thesis work came
together in the last 18 months to two years) but I think part of it is
allowing myself to be myself.  It's a risk-there will be people,
important to your career and not so important to your career, who think
it's a sign of lack of commitment on your part for you not to be in the
lab every availible second.  I accept that, and that there may be
consequences for me reference-wise, but I choose to follow the path I've
laid out and let my publications and grants tell the story.

Personally, I think that this is the way to "change the world".  I may
not reach the top by playing the game by my rules, but if I play the
game by the rules as presently accepted, I don't think I want to reach
the top.  I look at it as a personal decision, but that personal
decision made hundreds of times by talented people could change the way
science is done.  Or maybe not-I could just be being optimistic because
my science is going well this week!

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at