Advice needed

Parachute Woman scholl at ipass.net
Tue Mar 25 20:04:19 EST 1997

I'll put my answer first, so you don't have to re-read this whole thing
if you've already read it once.

This professor seems to be a little out-of-touch with reality.  If you
have manged to write a grant and get it accepted then that money is
yours to cover your own expenses while you do that research.  None of
that money should go to your advisor.  It sounds to me like he is doing
some pretty shady things when it comes to money, and if you and other
students think he is unethical you should report him to either the head
of your department or the Dean of your school.

Do not feel bad about changing your advisor.  Your choice of advisor is
one of the most important choices you make in Grad school.  If you
cannot work with this man, then you should not feel you are "forced" to.
I'm down the road from you (literally - down 40) and I know of quite a
few people in my department who work in the Research Triangle Park and
have on-campus advisors just as a technicality - the person they are
under at the institution in the triangle are their "real" advisor.  It
sounds like you have a similar situation.  Therefore you should be able
to easily find another professor in your department who can be your
on-campus advisor (help with decisions about classes and such) and get
you away from this other guy.  The fact that his students don't seem to
graduate is a big warning sign right there.

However, let me also point out that from what I've seen (MS at one
instituion, now going for a PhD in another) Grad school is not a place
where someone is going to hold your hand and guide you along.  These
students that have gone 6 months without talking to their advisor - have
they made an effort to meet with him?  It is their responsability to do
that.

Anyway - I'd advise doing whatever will make your experience as a PhD
student more fruitful.  Your purpose is to learn and if you cannot learn
from this man then go elsewhere, either to another person or to another
institution.  Bring your money with you.  Most money is transportable if
it is not given thru the university.

If you think you need to change institutions but want to still work with
this woman doing research you are interested in perhaps you should look
at the other schools in your area, such as NC State and Chapel Hill.
I don't know what exactly you study - but being a first year you still
have a LOT of options open to you.

I didn't like where I was at first so I got my MS and got out - went
somewhere else.  I'm very happy where I am now.  Its not the end of the
world.

Good luck!