Advice needed

Deb Britt Deborah_Britt at brown.edu
Thu Mar 27 10:14:20 EST 1997

This professor has "seven or eight" grad students, and no one has
graduated in the past six years?  Warning bells should be going off right
here.  I think that looking at a prof's past record with grad students is
a good indication of what will happen in the future.  From what you have
said, my advice would be to leave now, before you invest any more time,
energy and frustration.  Changing advisors within the department can be a
delicate affair, but is easier than transferring to another institution.
You should make some quiet inquiries to see if you can move to someone
else's lab, and take your money with you.

Good communication with your advisor is tremendously important during your
graduate work.  Try and find a new mentor who meets with grad students
regularly, but remember that communication is a two-way street, and you
may need to take the initiative at times.

Hang in there, yours is not the "typical" situation at any school I have
seen, but it does happen, and it is up to you to take control of your
future, and do what is best for yourself and your career.  Good luck.

Deb Britt

--
Deborah Britt, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Oncology