Scientific writing - we vs. I

Robin Panza panzar at clpgh.org
Thu Mar 27 04:46:05 EST 1997

In article <5hbalo$pue at zam201.zam.kfa-juelich.de>, sabine at hlrz28.zam.kfa-juelich.de (Sabine Dippel) writes:

> (whatever that is in English). In my masters thesis, I circumvented the problem
> by using the passive voice, which in German is okay, but in English sounds
> awful, at least to me.

This seems odd to me.  I was trained to always use the passive ("this was
done", not "I did") in writing.  I was told that we are reporting results, not
"tooting our own horns" about what ingenious people we are to have come up with
this experimental design.  To me, both "I did" and "We did" sound silly, even
childish.

I know this is considered outdated by some (boy, does it make me feel old!),
but I've not seen a reason to change.  I feel the same about grammer.

Robin K Panza			panzar at clpgh.org
Section of Birds, Carnegie MNH
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA