Ethics/Science

Michelle Garrison garrison at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 14 21:34:13 EST 1997

I've seen this problem in lab classes, too -- I would say that it is the
worst in physics classes, then chemistry, and finally bio.  I think this
ordering has a lot to do with the varying degrees of numerical and
observational data in those classes.

In my chem labs as an undergrad (especially in organic), they had
"foil mechanisms" to prevent things like that from happening.  For
example, you turned in your final product/sample at the end of lab
and the TA would randomly (?) pick one or two and analyze them and
check them against the data those students reported.  OR, they would
give each student a slightly different unknown, so that the students would
only come up with the correct answer through careful and independent work.

However, the best method I have seen for lowering cheating in labs is
lowering the expectations for "outcomes" and raising the expectations
for "process."  For example -- not expecting anatomy drawings to be as
good as the ones in the book;  taking a 30% yield as acceptable in chem
labs; etc.

Just my two cents.

--
Michelle Garrison