courses for grad students

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 19 20:43:57 EST 1997

In article <64vqch$3p0$1 at fremont.ohsu.edu>,
Rae Nishi <nospamnishir at ohsu.edu> wrote:
>be offered.  My feeling is that the good students will take the courses
>because they're interested and enthusiastic about learning the material
>and that students who choose to take a course will be more enthusiastic
>than those who are forced to take it.  I think that by the time you get
>to a postgraduate education (especially training for a PhD) that you
>ought to be mature enough to figure out how to get what you need and
>that we should foster an environment of multidisciplinary training.

This sounds great, and it's also gratifying to hear your position of
trusting the students enough to make their own decisions.  I would
like to make a plug, though, for a number of required courses (maybe
2 per semester in the first two years) anyway.  The reason I say this
is that in programs where there are no required courses, or too few,
students feel pressure NOT to take them, from their PI's who want them
to be in the lab instead.  If you have to take the course, then you
can spend time on it without incurring guilt or the wrath of your boss.

Karen