courses for grad students

Karen Wheless kwheless at rockland.net
Wed Nov 19 18:45:15 EST 1997

> I wonder what your thoughts are on requiring courses for grad students.
>  I seem to be the minority of this faculty in thinking that a
> <<minimum>> number of courses should be required but that many should
> be offered.

On the other hand, if the courses aren't required, there will be some
advisors who say, "it's not required, so I don't want you spending the
time away from the lab to take a class that won't directly benefit your
research".  I like the idea of having a certain number of credits
required, but the actual courses flexible.  We were required to have a
certain number of "research skills" classes, things like NMR,
crystallography, molecular modeling, etc.  People complained that the
courses took too much time away from the lab, so they became optional,
and suddenly no one took any classes other than the skills they needed
for their particular research project.
--
Karen Wheless                 kwheless at rockland.net
 "Art is I, science is we."  Claude Bernard