HS Students and

Alan Shutko ats at acm.org
Wed Nov 26 20:40:49 EST 1997

K> I'm not surprised that honors high school students cheat, but I
K> wonder whether it's really due to an over-inflated sense of
K> self-worth, or actually an underdeveloped sense of self-worth and
K> ability.  If they really thought they had the ability to do the
K> work, and were proud of their own capabilities, why would they be
K> cheating?

I haven't seen honors students cheat on things that they took pride
in.  I've only seen people cheat on things they didn't care about.
It's been the things they percieve to be a waste of their time.  If
they percieve it as a formality or as busy work, it's fair game.  I
would credit that to the increased pace of everyone's life in the US
these days.

Evidently, teachers aren't impressing upon students _why_ they should
care.

--
Alan Shutko <ats at acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
He is truly wise who gains wisdom from another's mishap.