service

Dana Ann Dudle ddudle at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 1 16:36:32 EST 1997

I am interested in starting a thread about the third (and poorly defined)
aspect of an academic's career:  service.  I know that the phrase
"teaching, research, and service" is very common, especially in tenure
talks and/or job interview introductions, but I don't have a clear idea of
what kind of service this phrase refers to.  If it refers mainly to
committee work within the department and university, as well as on
national panels (NSF grant review boards, etc.), I want to raise the
question: "Is this kind of service enough?"

Does anyone else think that academic scientists (particularly in the
relatively affluent environment of the  US, but elsewhere as well) have a
responsibility to communicate with the community at large about science
and technology, or to share with and/or donate resources to universities
and schools where students don't have access to books and journals?
Lately I have been thinking that we do.  Of course, adding more
responsibility to lives that are already taxed to the limit seems a bit
overwhelming...

I ask this group to describe the service that departments sort of
"require" to be a productive member of the community, and also to
describe what some poeple they know do above and beyond these base-level
service activities.

Thanks-- I hope this sparks some interesting discussion!

Dana Dudle