The Nobel Prize

sunny N stewart sunnyesq at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 4 01:52:54 EST 1997

What and how we do things do reflect on our professions, however, who
we are as people and what we accomplish through fair and honest
research will make more of a mark, than whether we are out surfin and
chasing women...etc

In <Pine.A41.3.96.971002072112.91030B-100000 at f1n7.u.arizona.edu>
Wildcatz <abe at U.Arizona.EDU> writes:

>> Just as athletes are role models to some, scientists are role models
>> others. What we do reflects on our profession.
>
>I think this is a very important point, perhaps getting at the heart
of
>all the recent posts on this thread.  I also think that (from the
>perspective of an undergrad, and not-yet professional scientist) the
>quality/personality of the scientists you are in contact with does
play an
>important role in one's interest in the field.  My father is a
hydrologist
>with the Geological Survey, and ever since I was a little kid, has
>encouraged me to explore and think critically about the world around
me,
>and always had time for me to ask why and how.  Then I had a fantastic
>teachert in 5th and 6th grade who was an amateur marine biologist and
had
>salt water aquariums in his classroom and did a lot of hands-on
activities
>with the students.  That's when I fell in love with biology.
Academically
>I am not heading particularly in the direction of marine bio because I
>felt that would restrict my career options more than a terrestrial
focus
>would... but I think i will always be a marine biologist at heart.
Then