assertive vs. bitchy

Cynthia M. Galloway c-galloway at TAIU.EDU
Mon Oct 6 15:26:47 EST 1997

I have just come across a somewhat similar situation with a little bit of
difference.  I have always been perceived by my students as friendly,
supportive, nurturing, someone they can talk to, until today.  I spent the
weekend grading 60 laboratory reports.  It took about 30 hours and by the
time I was done, at 1:00 this morning, I was steaming.  Many of the students
decided to turn in 100% identical lab reports, including summaries,
discussions and answers to questions.  The offending students were give 0's
to 40% based on whether they had data with their reports or not.  I passed
them back, explained what I had done, and answered questions.  Afterwords
the students described me as cranky, bitchy, out-of-sorts and just plain
grumpy.  When a male colleague did something similar, they said he was
allowed because he was male and a female shouldn't do the same thing.  We're
suppose to be  nicer!  They did come and apolagize for copying each others
labs but, I still don't see why they feel a male can be critical and a
female cannot without being called bitchy.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is this because we are perceived as
"mother-figures"?  Dads are allowed to discipline but, mothers nurture?

Cyndy

Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Assoc. Professor of Biology
Dept. of Biology