assertive vs. bitchy

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Oct 7 10:49:15 EST 1997

In article <ECE2A867CF at guesswork.oncology.wisc.edu>
mertz at ONCOLOGY.WISC.EDU ("Janet Mertz") writes:

> The only way we will be able to
> change the rules of the game for all is by having a higher percentage
> of the players being women in positions of power.

Janet,

The preception here on the part of the very few women full professors
in the School of Medicine is that the glass ceiling is very strong. Few
seem to make it to a "position of power".  Only one of the dept. Chairs
is female, and one division chief (no dept chairs in clinical depts).
Only one of the Deans (Asst Dean of Students (nurturing role?) is a
woman).  The percent of full professors who are women seems to be
holding at something less than 10% even though I went through grad
school in a class that was 50% women.  Is it better at Madison?

Rae Nishi, PhD
Professor
Oregon Health Sciences University