meetings and perceptions

C.J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 8 09:59:42 EST 1997

In article <61fc7o$sll at zam201.zam.kfa-juelich.de>,
sabine at hlrz28.zam.kfa-juelich.de (Sabine Dippel) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been following the meetings discussion for the last few days,
>and now want to add some "cumulated" comments.
>
>To start with the last point that came up here I -- I have never experienced
>people making passes at conferences. However, this might be due to the small
>number of women in my field. I admit having heard people mention that
>"conferences might be a good place to meet women", only to get laughed at by
>male colleagues that probably a physics conference might be the wrong sort of
>conference for this endeavour.

Sabine-Would that this were so.  My grad school roommate was in physics.
She also happens to be a good-looking woman.  Poor Jennifer couldn't turn
around without having men hit on her.  She managed it with good humor and
usually stayed away from dating fellow physics students.  We didn't have
an answering machine in our apartment, so I wound up taking numerous
messages for her from smitten male physicists (and other males) over the
years.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller