thesis supervisor as co-author?

E. Wijsman wijsman at u.washington.edu
Sat Oct 11 21:38:02 EST 1997

The issue of whether or not to include the advisor as a coauthor depends
on more than whether or not you have done the actual laboratory work.  How
did the formulation of the problem come about?  Did your advisor help you
come up with the question?  Did the advisor meet with you on a regular
basis to help trouble-shoot, ask critical questions that started up other
important experiments, give critical feedback on writing, or to otherwise
help direct the research?  If the answer is yes, the advisor probably
belongs as a coauthor.  If the answer is no, then you probably should not
feel back about being the sole author.  I have been both a coauthor as
well as a non-author for work done by students/postdocs working with me.
When they do everything themselves, they deserve sole authorship, but more
often than not, there is a lot of behind the scenes help for students.

Ellen M. Wijsman			Express mail address:
Research Professor			1914 N 34th St., suite 209
Div. of Medical Genetics and		Seattle, WA   98103
Dept. Biostatistics 			(Note:  do not mention the
BOX 357720, University of Washington 	 Univ. of Washington, and
Seattle, WA   98195-7720		 use this address only for
phone:  (206) 543-8987			 express mail)
fax:    (206) 616-1973			email:  wijsman at u.washington.edu