Giving a Poster/Paper

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Oct 23 11:41:30 EST 1997

(snip  of a lot of good stuff)

>However, if last year's Neurosciences meeting is any indication, this
>request falls on completely deaf ears.  The current trend is white
>lettering on navy blue or black backgrounds, and the room so dark you
>can't see to take notes.
>
>Karen

The reason for this is probably because this is supposed to be the
easiest to read.  (Someone from Eastman Kodak told me once (8 years ago)
that they weren't allowed to use anything else but white on polar blue,
because Kodak decided this was easiest to read (and they made the polar
blue film!).  I know the PI in the lab I'm visiting in insists that all
his grad students and postdocs use black backgrounds-I think they're
awful, but he thinks they're "slick", and it allows him to put their
slides  into his talk and have them all the same background.  Point
being-sometimes the presenter has no choice.  I'm not defending bad
slides, just some factors that go into decisions to use a given
background.

Someone who uses Powerpoint, but not the templates!

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University