Giving a Poster/Paper

Deb Britt Deborah_Britt at brown.edu
Thu Oct 23 12:31:04 EST 1997

I'm currently plowing through about 60 poster abstracts for a "young
investigator" competition at our upcoming research celebration, so here
are my current thoughts on the matter of posters:

1.  Tailor the information to the audience: if everyone at the meeting is
an expert in your field you can concentrate on fine details, for a mixed
audience make your points more general so everyone understands the
significance of your work

2.  Always include a brief background to put your work in perspective

3.  Clearly state your hypothesis, and why it is important

4.  Select only data that illustrate the points you want to make.  Don't
try to include everything you've done, and keep your figure legends and
descriptions short and to the point.  People who are interested can ask
you for more detail, or look at your publications

5.  Always summarize - what did you conclude from your experiments, did
this support your hypothesis, what will you do next

And, as my thesis advisor used to tell me in grad school, make it a good
*story*.

Deb Britt

--
Deborah Britt, Ph.D.