Giving a Poster/Paper

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:15:42 EST 1997

In article <62o70r$hlb at gap.cco.caltech.edu>, ravena at cco.caltech.edu says...

>In article <ABF4C555B6 at bio.tamu.edu>,
>Julia Frugoli <JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU> wrote:
>>(snip  of a lot of good stuff)
>>

>>>However, if last year's Neurosciences meeting is any indication, this
>>>request falls on completely deaf ears.  The current trend is white
>>>lettering on navy blue or black backgrounds, and the room so dark you
>>>can't see to take notes.
>>>
>>>Karen
>>>
>>The reason for this is probably because this is supposed to be the
>>easiest to read.  (Someone from Eastman Kodak told me once (8 years ago)
>>that they weren't allowed to use anything else but white on polar blue,
>>because Kodak decided this was easiest to read (and they made the polar
>>blue film!).
>
>That's funny, I thought I read something close to the opposite, that
>actually plain old black on white is the "most memorable."  Maybe I'm
>misremembering, though, because I'm biased (as I went through in my
>last posting).
Perhaps you're both right.  I seem to recall somebody (I think it
was my undergraduate thesis advisor, who was really keen on the
importance of good presentation style) telling me that white on
blue might be easiest to read, but that people retain information
better when it's presented as black on white.

- Hannah

--
Hannah Dvorak-Carbone
Division of Biology 216-76