Giving a Poster/Paper

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Oct 23 14:32:47 EST 1997

>Sure, I understand students following PI's wishes.  My own biases come
>from those of my thesis advisor, partly.  All her slides were on white
>backgrounds, and she also insisted on using black and white film for
>black and white data (instead of the color film used by most slide
>labs), because the background from black and white film was even
>whiter.  At first I grumbled to myself (when I had to redo my slides
>*yet again*, and have the guy at the photo lab look at me funny when I
>asked for black and white film), but now I notice, too.
>
>Karen

I think, as  has been pointed out, that it may be technology driven.  My
husband shoots his own black and white slides on a camera stand, because
that's what he has (and his autorads do look nice because he chooses the
right film-I believe the white background you mention comes from High
Contrast film-and develops it himself, but he has to generate the
templates, etc).

I, on the other hand, generate the same image on a phosphoimager
(already digital data), transfer the image to a slide program (Power
Point, or Canvas or Photoshop) and then shoot the electronic images on a
computer slide maker-which takes one kind of color film. While the
techno way is  much faster and allows you more flexibility, I agree you
lose some clarity.  So, a question.  We don't  have a "slide lab"-we
have a departmental machine that anyone can use.  The instructions for
use say to only put a certain type of color film in because that's the
way the computer program is configured.  Can one configure it for  black
and white, or do I have to shoot my own slides with a camera (old
technology :) ) to get B&W?
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at