(none)

Deb McDonough donough at UCSUB.COLORADO.EDU
Thu Oct 30 14:13:47 EST 1997

> I really like hearing this reinforcement now, when we are being bombarded
>by     > propaganda (even on NPR) that says "the best care is Mother's
>care in the
> home" (they say "parents" but I think they know they mean "mother").

Linden's comment about different perceptions of mothers/fathers reminds me
of how brave everyone thought my husband was to take our 1 1/2 year old to
Florida by himself.  No one thought I was particularly brave to take the
same kid to New York by myself. . .  I also have to work hard not to be
irritated when people ask "Is your husband babysitting tonight?" when I
show up without the kids.  It's not babysitting, it's parenting!  Just
indications of how society places entirely differnt expectations on the
genders making co-parenting difficult for many even to envision. . .

Deb McDonough
Krauter Lab
Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
University of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0347

Phone: (303) 492-6568
Fax:   (303) 492-5105