Triage at the student stage

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Mon Sep 1 16:13:30 EST 1997

It seems to me that there are several conflicting forces here:

1) A need to have some triage early on in the graduate programs to
relieve the overpopulation of PhDs.

2) A need for graduate students to teach the undergraduate lab sections
that several people have commented on as being essential to a science
degree.

3) A need for graduate students as inexpensive (monetarily, not
emotionally or time-wise:)) research hands.

I can think of instances where a student was either accepted into a
program, or not encouraged to leave despite evidence of unsuitability,
because a warm body was needed to TA that 4th lab section of the Intro
course.  While in the instances I'm thinking of, it was never the
fundamental reason, it certainly tipped the scales.

Just another thought to add to the discussion...

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University