marriage and name-changing

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Wed Sep 3 13:58:54 EST 1997

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, C.J. Fuller wrote:

> I also get a giggle about the telemarketers who call for Mrs.
> Vrieslander.  First off, they usually can't pronounce it.  Since his
> father remarried, there are 2 Mrs. Vrieslanders-however, they're both in
> Florida.  Although I do get steamed when the telemarketers ask for Mr. or
> Mrs. Fuller...

Those situations are fun too! I give them my parents' number, which is
long distance. And anticipate the fun if they should call and get my mom,
who prefers to be addressed as "Ms." The only time I get offended is when
they assume that "Linnea" is the Mr. by default. I actually had someone
tell me that it was *much* more offensive for a man to be addressed as a
woman than vice versa  and that according to their corporate etiquette
book that was correct. I did resist the urge to tell them where to stick
that particular volume. I did however request that their company never
contact me again!

Linnea