Triage and Statistics

Dr. Paula J. Schlax pjschlax at JHUVMS.HCF.JHU.EDU
Wed Sep 3 12:49:26 EST 1997

I pulled out the Nat Research Council Doctorate Record Project Report
that I was sent about a year ago for statistics on people getting their
PhDs in ~95.

Interesting numbers_

Median (not sure what they mean) age of PhD Life Sciences 32.4
Median Time lapse Bacc to PhD- 9.5 years, but only(;-)) 7 after
enrolling

7913 life sciences PhD in 95
2161 chemistry phds
57.6 % of life science go on to postdoc1789 of the 95 PhDs had a
definite plan of employment after getting the PhD (I assume nonpostdoc.)

42% women (in Chemistry, my field, 30.6% women)

Just thought people might want to see the numbers-

More info can be obtained from

Doctorate Research Project
National Research Council
OSEP TJ 2006