triage, money, teaching - what is important

C.J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 3 14:08:51 EST 1997

Sarah-I wish our dept had the luxury of allowing first year grad students
to not be TA's.  Unfortunately, we're a small department by nutrition
standards.  This rush into teaching is particularly wrenching for
international students who are not proficient in English.  It's a bad deal
for the undergrads who may not comprehend the TA, and it's also bad for
the grad student.  In Asian countries, teaching at the college/university
level is very prestigious.  They don't understand why these kids don't
accord them even a modicum of respect.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller