marriage and name-changing

l sian gramates siang at wilde.oit.umass.edu
Thu Sep 4 14:03:11 EST 1997

taguebw at wfu.edu wrote:

: change my middle name to her unmarried name. Only problem was that it cost
: a fair amount of money for a man to change his name in Massachusetts (and
: other states as I found out on this newgroup); while name changes were
: free for woman who were getting married.

really?  i thought massachusetts was a common-law name-change state
(at least that's what legal services here at umass say in their
pamphlet on the subject), and all one has to do is consistantly use
the new name and notify the proper authorities.  the pamphlet did
state that one might have to go through the more expensive official
process if anyone important gave you a hard time about it.

-sian (formerly shawn)