macrovirus

linden higgins linden at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Sep 4 15:27:24 EST 1997

On a completely different subject --

I was informed today that my MSWord has a macrovirus - I'd never even heard
of these things before.  It is a really new one:  all of the anti-viral
programs in this department fail to detect it.  I just called MS help line,
because one of the failed anti-viral programs was a piece of free-ware they
put out last year (it got infected when I tried to run it!).  They are no
longer supporting or developing anti-viral programs, and the engineer just
referred me to sales reps. at three different companies!

There are only three symptoms:
(1) the icon changes
(2) infected documents automatically turn on the "autosave" function
(3) when I manually save, it saves twice

So far as I can tell, there are no other problems.  But I feel as though I
am sitting on a time bomb - does anyone know anything about this, or where
the best place is to go to get information and a cleaning program?

Everything I've done in Word since 4 August is infected - two grant
proposals, job application material, a manuscript, lectures (I didn't know
this until today because I use "names" not "icons", and I thought the thing
with saving was a glitch).  I can no longer send files to anyone, which is
going to make things difficult in this increasingly paper-less university.
I've spent the whole day trying to clean my machine, and cannot even find
someone who recognizes the bug!

Thanks in advance

Linden

Linden Higgins
Department of Zoology
University of Texas
Austin, TX  78712

telephone:  (512) 471-6905  FAX (512) 471-9651

linden at mail.utexas.edu