marriage and name-changing

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Sep 4 14:17:32 EST 1997

To:            womenbio at net.bio.net
From:          siang at wilde.oit.umass.edu (l sian gramates)
Subject:       Re: marriage and name-changing
Date:          4 Sep 97 19:03:11 GMT

taguebw at wfu.edu wrote:

: change my middle name to her unmarried name. Only problem was that it
cost
: a fair amount of money for a man to change his name in Massachusetts
(and
: other states as I found out on this newgroup); while name changes were
: free for woman who were getting married.

really?  i thought massachusetts was a common-law name-change state
(at least that's what legal services here at umass say in their
pamphlet on the subject), and all one has to do is consistantly use
the new name and notify the proper authorities.  the pamphlet did
state that one might have to go through the more expensive official
process if anyone important gave you a hard time about it.

-sian (formerly shawn)

OK one more time, for the record (and since my Mom is a judge in
Massachusetts, I'm not making this up).  You can call yourself whatever
you want.  However, if the name under which you receive wages, cash
checks and borrow money does not match the name on your social security
card, the IRS gets very upset and withholds your refunds, charges you
extra interest, etc.  Likewise, the State of Massachusetts on their tax
returns.   Credit reports in which the name does not match the social
security number SOMETIMES get a red flag (though not often enough-its
suprising easy to ruin someone else's credit). You can change the name
on your social security card by submitting a legal document-a court
order if you're a man, a court order or a marriage certificate if you're
a woman (this is where MA is sexist-men can't change their names just by
marrying).  Mind you, this was the law 3 years ago when I got married in
Massachusetts-I will double check with Mom to see if things changed.

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University