marriage and name-changing

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 4 22:04:23 EST 1997

Well, since no "hyphenated person" has chipped in yet, I guess
I'll put in my two cents' worth.  Now, I've only been married
less than four months now, and am still in the process of
changing everything over to my new name, so I don't have a lot
of experience with it yet.

Before I got married, I agonized for a long time over what to
do with my name after I was married.  To be honest, I wasn't
really thrilled with any of the options.  Here are some of the
factors that I considered in my decision.

I never really considered just not changing my name at all,
because I like the idea of a husband and wife (and family, when
we have kids) sharing a name (or at least part of one).  My
husband put no pressure on me to change my name, but he would
like our children to have one name - his.  We may still
incorporate my maiden name into our children's names, perhaps
as a middle name.  For a while, this is what I considered for
myself: Hannah Dvorak Carbone, no hyphen.  However, I finally
opted against this for the reason someone has already
mentioned, namely that this would inevitably become H.D.
Carbone.  Also, unlike some last names, Dvorak makes for a
rather odd middle name.  However, I'm attached enough to Dvorak
that I never considered giving it up entirely, despite the fact
that many people can't seem to pronounce or spell it.  Of
course, that's just been exacerbated by the addition of a
hyphen and seven more letters!

What I like about the hyphenated name is that it effectively
encompasses all its possible subsets; people can easily
recognize that I am (the former) Ms. Dvorak, the current Mrs.
Greg Carbone (a formulation I don't particularly care for, but
I accept it as meaning "wife of Greg Carbone," even while
wishing there was a similar form for "husband of...") and the
future Dr. Dvorak-Carbone (once I finally graduate).  I
considered and rejected the idea of using my maiden name
professionally and my married name socially for the same
reasons that other posters have pointed out: first, many of my
friends are also my colleagues, and second, using two names
would make it hard to keep track of which one you're using
when.

One thing that took a little pressure off my decision making is
that I identify myself much more strongly with my first than my
last name anyway.  I'm the only Hannah I know (at least in my
age group; I've met toddlers named Hannah).  If I had a more
common first name, I might have chosen differently.  Also, I
didn't have the weight of a publication record to sway my
decision.  All I've got under my maiden name are two abstracts
and a middle authorship on a conference proceedings.  And
certainly my new name is unique!  (Not that there are that many
Dvoraks - or Carbones, for that matter - to "compete" with in
Medline.)

That said, though, I'm still adapting to my decision.  My new
name is on my office door, in my .sig file, and on my social
security card, but not yet on my driver's license, passport, or
chequebook.  I have not yet introduced myself to anyone as
Hannah Dvorak-Carbone, and when others introduce me just as
Hannah Dvorak, I don't correct them.  I do feel my name is
somewhat long and awkward.  Sometimes I wish I could just
change my name to a non-ASCII character and be the
neurobiologist formerly known as Hannah. :)  On the other hand,
I just got Volume One of this year's Neuroscience meeting
abstracts today, and glancing at the author list made me
realize that there are much longer and more cumbersome names
than mine out there!

Ok, guess that was a lot more than $.02 worth, but like I said,
it's something I've thought about a lot.

- Hannah

--
Hannah Dvorak-Carbone
Division of Biology 216-76