marriage and name-changing

E. Wijsman wijsman at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 5 12:41:39 EST 1997

> we have kids) sharing a name (or at least part of one).  My
> husband put no pressure on me to change my name, but he would
> like our children to have one name - his.  We may still

We solved this problem (with our two different last names) by agreeing
before any children came along that we would use my husband's last name
for boys, and mine for girls, with the other name as a middle name.  So a
boy would be named "X Y myname hisname", and a girl would be named "X Y
hisname myname".  I should say that my son seems to be very proud of the
fact that he shares my name as a middle name; if there is one of his names
that he seems to have the least interest in, it is his first middle name
(Y).  Again, with all the blended families these days, different names for
people in a family really provides no problem, and has never been a
problem either socially or legally for us.

Ellen M. Wijsman			Express mail address:
Research Professor			1914 N 34th St., suite 209
Div. of Medical Genetics and		Seattle, WA   98103
Dept. Biostatistics 			(Note:  do not mention the
BOX 357720, University of Washington 	 Univ. of Washington, and
Seattle, WA   98195-7720		 use this address only for
phone:  (206) 543-8987			 express mail)
fax:    (206) 616-1973			email:  wijsman at u.washington.edu