marriage and name-changing

Lee Anne Tibbles tibbles at oci.utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 8 23:29:40 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.970904154806.20839A-100000 at umbi.umd.edu>, Kimberly
Walker <walker at umbi.umd.edu> writes:

> Is this really a nightmare?  Most professional women I know don't
> change their name professionally although they do socially.  I will
> always be Dr. Walker professionally, so why mess with it?  If
> someone called me Mrs. Husband'sName socially or in conjunction with
> the children, I wouldn't argue about it, but to expect someone to look
> up you publications in old name, new name, maybe hyphenated
> transition name is too much.
>
> Kim

I think the fact that the women in bio newsgroup has such a huge discussion on
this issue attests to the fact that women have not begun to become equal
members in this society, even at the most educated edge. I use MY name. (It
hasn't been maiden for quite a long time, now ;)  ) I used MY name when I was
married, it was no problem. I used my name when separated, and I will continue
to use MY name when divorced, remarried, or if I live to be a single elderly
female.  At my daughter's school, when I introduce myself,  I'm Dr.Tibbles  or
Lee Anne, Celine xxxxxx's Mom.

Lee Anne Tibbles