new to group...what's the lingo?

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Sat Sep 13 07:08:18 EST 1997

Kellie_Bonnici (kbonnici at ivory.trentu.ca) wrote:
: Anyways, after reading through a few messages, I've noticed the acronym PI
: a few times. What does it mean? I'm in Canada...perhaps its an American or
: English thing...anyways, I'd love to know.

PI means Principal Investigator, and is lingo borrowed from
American grant applications. The PI is the individual
(usually an university faculty member) who is in charge
of a research project/research laboratory. The PI
applies for the grant, administers the project, and is
in charge of the people doing the project.

People use the term more generically to refer to the
head of the laboratory, their supervisor, their
dissertation advisor.

Bharathi

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Lab of Neuropsychology, NIMH