Money and Self-Esteem

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Sep 18 14:41:48 EST 1997

>To:            womenbio at net.bio.net
>From:          bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov (Bharathi Jagadeesh)
>Subject:       Re: Money and Self-Esteem
>Date:          18 Sep 1997 19:09:29 GMT
>

>Here's some data, from the book _Money_ (out in hardback, can't
>remember the author)
>
>Salaries for full professors, 1995-1996, average
>State schools are for the main campus.
>
>For some inexplicable reason, Maine is missing.
>
>I know that this averages across all faculty members,
>not just science faculty. I do not know if the numbers
>refer to 9 or 12 month salaries.

(salaries deleted)

While this is a very small subset of colleges (ie, the principle
research institutions, not the small undergraduate colleges with
research programs) and only full professors, I found the range
fascinating-the highest salaries were twice the lowest, making it
impossible to say "a full professor earns X" without being grossly
misleading.  I suspect saying "a starting professor earns X" is equally
misleading.
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at