Money and Self-Esteem

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Sep 18 11:25:10 EST 1997

>In article <1.5.4.16.19970918093325.37df0480 at mailhost.sm.ic.ac.uk>
>l.rosenblum at ic.ac.uk ("L. Rosenblum") writes:
>
>> I'm curious to know (from a career rather than a financial
>perspective) how
>> moving into what may be another temporary position (instructor,
>research
>> associate, etc.) is perceived by a search committee for a
>tenure-track
>> position.  Are there biases against those people who have taken a
>number of
>> temporary positions (say two post-docs and a non-tenure track
>faculty) while
>> applying for tenure-track positions? ---Lisa
>
>There are not very many biases against these positions.  What matters
>most is your track record (publications), your letters, and your
>research interest statement.
>

>Rae

Interesting-I've heard that this would be death to an academic career,
mostly because a non-tenure track position is often "instructor", which
kills your research record.  I've also been told that pedigree is even
more important than pubs, though it can't cover a dismal record, it
tips the balance between two people each with 12 author pubs. (An
assistant chair recently told me that you shouldn't even consider
today's job market without this dozen publications-the pool is that
deep).

What do others who've sat on search committees have to say about this?
(I'm beginning to think every institution is different, especially when
I read Rae's quote of starting salaries at undergrad institutions-she's
definitely not talking about Texas!)

I shared once before that a director at NIH had told me that people over
40 were avoided by search committees as "too old", and this newsgroup
resoundingly voted against this sentiment-which, given my age, was a
comfort.  What about the temporary positions move?
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University