Money and Self-Esteem

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Thu Sep 18 15:37:44 EST 1997

Julia Frugoli (JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU) wrote:

: While this is a very small subset of colleges (ie, the principle
: research institutions, not the small undergraduate colleges with
: research programs) and only full professors, I found the range
: fascinating-the highest salaries were twice the lowest, making it
: impossible to say "a full professor earns X" without being grossly
: misleading.  I suspect saying "a starting professor earns X" is equally
: misleading.

Yes, and field makes a big difference, too, though here, we're mostly
concerned with science salaries.

There's an interesting study of women in science by the NSF

http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/srs/nsf96311/htmpdf.htm

Chapter 5 includes an analysis of the wage gap between
men and women scientists.

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Lab of Neuropsychology, NIMH
Building 49, Room 1b80