Money and Self-Esteem

taguebw at taguebw at
Fri Sep 19 10:30:05 EST 1997

In article <19970919122801.IAA02555 at>, junekk at
(JuneKK) wrote:

> The tenure-track position generally requires that you go up for tenure
> from 7to10 years of the point of hire, and if you do not get tenure, you
> must leave.
> Interestingly, I've heard from a colleague who, along with the dean of the
> school, actively sought a non-tenure-track position- so that their job
> would be more SECURE  (this individual did not have a great publication
> record, making tenure unlikely, but was very capable in the other required
> areas of academia).
> Comments?

If I am not mistaken, it is a policy of the AAUP (Amer. Assoc. Univ.
Professors) that non-tenure track instructors on year-to-year contracts
cannot have their contracts renewed indefinitely without being put into a
tenure track position. So at the very least, every 5-6 years an instructor
would have to take a semester off to "reset the clock" and continue to be

This is my understanding of the situation anyway. So I don't see
non-tenure track positions as being more secure: they are generally
year-to-year contracts and there is the above policy.

My 2 electrons.

Remove "REMOVE" to reply