Money and Self-Esteem

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone hdvorak at
Sat Sep 20 13:01:51 EST 1997

In article <a-schmi-1909971608360001 at>, a-schmi at
>In article <19970919165801.MAA09413 at>, junekk at
>(JuneKK) wrote:
>> <<I wrote it to the newsgroup on purpose,
>> because I think it's excessive except for certain fields, and I was hoping
>> someone would be shocked by the number, but obviously not!  >>
>> Certainly at Tier I universities (such as the one where I postdoc), this
>> is not an unreasonable demand- and from what I understand, of those dozen
>> publications there would certainly be some published from Science, Nature,
>> etc..
>I took a course over the summer and one of the instructors was a new
>instructor at Berkeley.  And I searched his publication record and was
>happily surprised to see that he only had 1 publication from a 5 year
>post-doc!  It was of course,
>one HELL of a publication and was one of those massively heroic efforts you
>hear about occasioanlly, but still.  Furthermore, while it is true that you
>have to have a killer publication record----let's not get crazy.  These
>are all human too, and they all have to sleep too, and even if theya re
>extraordinarily lucky there is simply NO WAY TO GENERATE 12
>papers by the time you are ready for the job market.

Don't know about 12, but... Some of my fellow grad students here
at Caltech have pretty impressive publications lists already.
Among recent grads, there's one with three Cell papers and a
Neuron paper; another with two in Science, one in J. Physiol,
one coming out in Neuron, as well as "lesser" publications; and
many with one Science or Nature paper as well as a few others
in "lesser" journals.  And more often than not they're the
first authors, not buried somewhere in a long list.  Now,
if these people go on to equally productive postdocs, they
will have pretty amazing publication records once they're out
on the market.

On the other hand, some of the post-docs I know that have
recently landed faculty positions don't have nearly as impressive
publication records.

- Hannah Dvorak-Carbone

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone
Division of Biology 216-76
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125