Money, Jobs, and luck

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Tue Sep 23 09:44:55 EST 1997

The topic of luck being a factor in getting jobs came up recently, and
the more I thought about it, the more annoyed I got.  Not because I
don't think there is an element of chance to finding a job, but because
I think women in general credit chance more than it deserves while men
in general credit skill, credentials, etc. more than they deserve (I'm
speaking in sweeping generalizations here, so hold the flames).

I had a hard time remembering any male colleague or acquaintance discuss
the factor of luck in his successful job search, yet I've heard women
over and over again talk about the luck of being in the right place at
the right time.  I myself am guilty of crediting luck with some of my
own successes.

I've heard it said that we make our own luck, and I think, while luck
may be a factor, focusing on it takes away from the incredibly talented,
skilled individuals who land the jobs-if you got the job without 12
Science pubs (exaggeration), it wasn't luck-it was some other skill you
brought to the department.  Let's give ourselves some credit!
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University