nobel prie winning women in science

E. Wijsman wijsman at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 23 14:41:19 EST 1997

The repercussions of the Anti-nepotism laws were still apparent at the
University of Illinois when I was in high-school in the late 1960's-early
1970's.  At least at the department level I think the laws were still
being applied.  Somewhere around then they were overturned; I don't
remember when exactly.  My russian teacher had a PhD in chemistry, but
taught russian because she couldn't work in the same department as her
husband.  I knew several other women in similar positions, with PhDs in
math, or one or another field of science, etc.  They ended up as permanent
instructors on year-by-year appointments at the University, or as high
school teachers, etc.  While some were super teachers (my russian teacher
included), there were negative trade offs (for the girls, at least)  since
the evidence from the people who were our only role models indicated that
the chance of succeeding in academia was slim. Even though those of us who
graduated in the early '70s were not subjected to the same overt laws, I
wouldn't be surprised if some unconsious decisions were made on the basis
of the evidence which we were presented.  Certainly from my high school
class there were fewer girls who went on to advanced degrees in any field
(PhDs, MDs, or JDs) than boys.

Ellen M. Wijsman			Express mail address:
Research Professor			1914 N 34th St., suite 209
Div. of Medical Genetics and		Seattle, WA   98103
Dept. Biostatistics 			(Note:  do not mention the
BOX 357720, University of Washington 	 Univ. of Washington, and
Seattle, WA   98195-7720		 use this address only for
phone:  (206) 543-8987			 express mail)
fax:    (206) 616-1973			email:  wijsman at u.washington.edu