nobel prize winning women in science

Leemor Joshua-Tor leemor at CSHL.ORG
Wed Sep 24 08:05:26 EST 1997

Rachelle J. Bienstock wrote:

>Someone mentioned that there were 14 women who won the Nobel Prize.  I
>can only think of 4.  Could someone enlightened me and list the others
>along with the prize which they won and the year?  Many of the women
>mentioned in the Book discussed did not actually win the Nobel Prize
>(such as Rosalyn Franklin).  The author included them because their work
>led to the awarding of a Nobel Prize and in the case of Rosalyn
>Franklin, many feel she was treated unjustly.

There is indeed some controversy about Rosalind Franklin and the
appendix about her in the new edition of The Eighth Day of Creation
is recommended for some more information about her story.
However, she had already passed away when the Nobel Prize was awarded
for the structure of DNA and the prize is not awarded posthumously.

  Leemor Joshua-Tor, Ph.D.
  Assistant Investigator
  Keck Structural Biology
  Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory           Tel. (516) 367 8821
  1 Bungtown Road                         Fax  (516) 367 8873
  Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724            e-mail: leemor at cshl.org