Money, Jobs, and luck

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 24 06:33:39 EST 1997

In article <1D517191CAE at bio.tamu.edu>,
Julia Frugoli <JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU> wrote:

>I had a hard time remembering any male colleague or acquaintance discuss
>the factor of luck in his successful job search,

But coudln't this be because these people are either concited and/or
in denial?  (especially due to the way they are socialized)  I personally
think that these people who don't acknowledge luck, male or female, could
use a little humility.  I think it's a short step from denying that luck
and chance play a role to victim-blaming and lack of compassion.

>brought to the department.  Let's give ourselves some credit!

On the other hand, this is a good point, too.

Karen